Tips for Hiring a Contractor for Custom Home Construction
Top 6 Steps for Hiring a Contractor for Custom Home Construction
Choosing a contractor is a crucial part of building your custom construction home. It’s important to do your research! Here are 6 steps you need to keep in mind!
Step 1: Ask for Help
Talk to friends, family, neighbors, coworkers, and especially your Realtor to gather a list of reputable contractors. You can also look for references in the National Association of the Remodeling Industry or the National Association of Homebuilders.
Step 2: Interview the Contractors
Here are some important questions to ask Contractors:
- How long have you been in business?
- Do you take on projects this size?
- Ask for examples of three previous clients.
- What other projects will you be working on at the same time?
- Will you be subcontracting the work and, if so, how will you oversee their work?
Step 3: Recon
After you’ve widdled down your list of Contractors to a select few:
- Check them out on Yelp and other review sites.
- Look them up with the Better Business Bureau.
- Call the Contractors’ previous clients to hear about their level of satisfaction.
- Visit their current job sites.
Step 4: Talk About Money
After the contractors listen to your plans, ask for bids that include cost of materials, labor and their profit margins.
Step 5: Project Schedule
Ask contractors to estimate completion dates for major milestones and the final completion date. Ask for a payment schedule that is contingent on those completion dates.
Step 6: Make Your Choice
If possible, don’t simply choose the lowest bidder. See how each contractor measures up in the above areas. Remember to ask for a contract that details the payments, schedule and their personal liability, workers’ compensation and property damage insurance coverage.
If you are looking to build a new home in the near future, Minteer Real Estate Team will gladly help you in the right direction. Call our team to discuss your real estate plans today!