7 Reasons to Move to Southlake
Southlake is located in the heart of Dallas/Fort Worth and boasts plenty of enjoyable activities and attractions for both visitors and locals to enjoy! Affectionately known as the “Beverly Hills” of Texas, this city has experienced immense growth over the years and has consistently provided a high standard of living among its residents.
1. Indulge in nature
- Experience the natural beauty of Southlake by visiting Bob Jones Nature Center, an educational nature center that is owned and managed by the City of Southlake. It provides an incredible outdoor learning experience by hosting a variety of events and facilitating environmental leadership and outdoor activities. A section of the park was also reserved solely for the preservation and restoration of the Eastern Cross Timbers ecosystem.
- Sticking to our nature theme, Bicentennial Park is a must visit playground in Southlake. With its unique and enticing dragon-themed layout, kids of all ages will have a fun time! This family-friendly spot includes a huge sandpit, playhouse, water-feature playground, sports fields, picnic shelters, and a fish pond.
- If horseback riding is your game, Marshall Creek Ranch provides lessons and trail rides. Widowmaker Trail Rides also gives visitors a chance to ride around Lake Grapevine, one of the best equestrian trails in the city. They don’t accept walk-ins so be sure to book an appointment!
2. Shopping and Entertainment
- Southlake Town Square takes care of all your shopping needs. With over 120 stores and multiple diners/restaurants, you will never run out of options!
- Stock your pantry with your essential grocery items by shopping at Central Market. This Texas-based grocery store offers fresh, high-quality foods and hosts cooking classes taught by expert cooking school instructors. It is available for all ages so make sure to sign up and fall in love with the art of cooking!
3. Food and Dining
- There’s no need to hop on a plane for the next time you’re craving international cuisine! If you’re craving Asian food, try Malai Kitchen and Cowtown Sushi for authentic Asian dishes. If Italian food is what your heart desires, Arezzo and Buca di Beppo deliver a taste of Italy that you couldn’t resist. How about Mexican food tonight? Mi Cocina and Chuy’s have got you covered!
- Don’t forget our local cuisine! Feedstore BBQ serves classic Texas BBQ, pork ribs, and flavorful brisket and is a certified crowd favorite. This family-owned restaurant has been operating since the 1950s and once started as a feed store before it became a famed barbecue joint.
4. Sports and Recreation
- Southlake prides itself on its youth sports, specifically high school. It is home to one of the most successful high school football teams, Southlake Carroll Dragons, who has been named state champion eight times! Fans can watch the Dragons in action at the Dragon Stadium and other sports like soccer in this top-of-the-line venue.
- Looking for a thrilling adventure indoors? Play with large trampolines at Urban Air Trampoline and Adventure Park. This large-scale indoor trampoline center offers exciting activities for everyone like fitness classes, dodgeball, open jump, and parties.
5. Events & Activities
- Whether you’re a Chilehead or a mild spice enthusiast, there’s something for everyone at the Hatch Chile Festival. This annual event highlights the world-famous green chile pepper that’s only grown and harvested in Hatch, New Mexico. Central Market buys tons of pounds of Hatch Chile and incorporates them into treats, giving them a spicy and delicious update!
- More nature content coming your way! Celebrate the beauty of the Monarch Butterfly at the Monarch Butterfly Festival. This festival is held at the Bob Jones Nature Center & Preserve and involves a grand release of over 500 butterflies, a butterfly-themed photo booth, a walk-through butterfly house, and much more! The first 500 children registered will also be able to release a butterfly personally. What a treat!
- The annual Art in the Square is named as one of the top art festivals in the country which features over 150 national and local unique artists. This 2-day fundraising event started in 2000 by the Southlake Women’s Club and aims to help various local charities.
- Nobody celebrates like the Germans! Southlake’s Oktoberfest gives a glimpse of Germany’s tradition and celebration through great overflowing food, live entertainment, arts and crafts, and the infamous wiener dog race!
- One of the most awaited events in the city every year is the Stars and Stripes. Locals and tourists come together on July 3rd every year to watch fantastic firework shows, live entertainment, and delicious food. It doesn’t get more patriotic than this!
6. Competitive schools
Another top reason to consider moving to Southlake is their public school district. Their public schools ranked 2nd among the best public schools in Dallas last 2019. The city boasts its academic excellence as one of the best in the DFW metroplex. It’s also part of the list of the best schools in Texas.
7. Quality neighborhoods and transportation
- Despite being a “small city”, Southlake has been named the most affluent neighborhood in the country, and its zip code (76092) is considered the richest zip code for its size in the nation! About 94% of the population is composed of single-family homes. Neighborhoods in the city are gated or guarded, which is a huge deciding factor when moving to Southlake. For more information about the best and most popular neighborhoods, click here.
- Southlake is also only less than 10 miles from Dallas/Ft. Worth International Airport, which is an advantage for travel bugs.