Cooking With the Catch of the Day (Part 2)
This article was written by Kristel Matousek and was featured in our July issue of Home By Design magazine. Recipe and photographs by Kristel Matousek from www.photoricalfood.com. To visit the original Home By Design article, click here.
SEAFOOD (PART 2)
RED CLAM CHOWDER
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) leeks, small dice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) fennel, small dice
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces sweet potato, small dice
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato puree
- 4 cups (32 fluid ounces) low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 (6.5-ounce) cans clams in clam juice
- 12 small clams in shell, cleaned and soaked in salt water
- Additional salt and pepper as needed
- Fennel fronds, for garnish
Preheat a stockpot over moderate heat. Add oil to the pot, then toss leeks, fennel, garlic, and sweet potato in oil to coat. Season with black pepper, salt, and red pepper flakes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning, cooking to soften and brown slightly.
Using a blender, puree the roasted red bell pepper with the tomato puree. Add bell pepper and tomato puree to the pot to deglaze. Bring to a simmer and allow it to reduce and darken slightly before adding the stock. Over the stock pot, strain off the juice from the canned clams, combining it with the red pepper and tomato puree. Retain the clams for later use.
Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Continue to cook uncovered until the potato is fully cooked. Add the clams in shell to the pot and cook until the clams open on their own. Remove from heat and stir in the retained clams from the can.
Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed. Garnish with fresh fennel fronds, and serve hot.
ARUGULA SALAD WITH WHITE WINE VINAIGRETTE
- 1 (5-ounce size) package arugula
- White wine vinaigrette (recipe to follow)
- 1 avocado, medium dice
- ½ cup canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup shaved Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- Black pepper as needed, for garnish
White Wine Vinaigrette
- 1½ tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill
In a blender or glass measuring cup, combine the honey, vinegar, oil, mustard, pepper, lemon juice, and garlic. Using an immersion or stand blender emulsify all the ingredients. Mix in chopped dill.
Toss arugula in the dressing to coat, using as much or as little as you desire. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and toss again.
On a large plate, alternately layer arugula with remaining ingredients. Garnish with additional Parmesan and black pepper, and serve.
Keep dressing refrigerated after use. Can be kept for 1 week under refrigeration. Some natural separation may occur over time but can be re-emulsified if necessary.